Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Judge Rotenberg Center shocks the United Nations

"To be frank, I was shocked when I was reading the report," said Manfred Nowak, the UN's Special Rapporteur on Torture. "What I did, on the 11th of May, was to send an urgent appeal to the U.S. government asking them to investigate."

-- ABC News, June 30, 2010

As I recently mentioned in my post about the Nicholson v. Freeport Union Free School Dist. case, Mental Disability Rights International sent a report to the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture concerning the use of severe Level 3 aversives, including electric skin shock, on disabled students at the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center in Canton, Massachusetts. Today, ABC News announced that it will air a segment on its "Nightline" program tonight (11:25 p.m. Eastern Time) about JRC. From ABC's announcement:
The skin shock treatment, used only after both a court and the student's parents have approved, has drawn criticism for years. But after the release of a recent study by Mental Disability Rights International, Rotenberg has come under the scrutiny of no less than the United Nations, which is calling the school's practices "torture."

"UN Calls Shock Treatment at Mass. School 'Torture'."

1 comment:

  1. I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this
    kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this website.
    Studying this information So i am glad to express that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I such a lot for sure will make sure to don?t forget this web site and give it a glance regularly.

    my website - http://www.biotechnologyreview.net

    ReplyDelete